Sunday, November 15, 2009

Heathland, "brown earths" and geology?

I'm doing a thesis on lowland heathland, specifically looking at the condition of it at 1 site. I've found a survey which concludes most of the soil in the area is "brown earth", and from my research I'm finding that heathland typically grows on more podzolic soils.


So... how suitable are brown earths for lowland heathland? I'm trying to find out the pH range of brown earths and their nutrient availability.


A couple of geological maps I've got here: geology in the areas im studying are Trachyte, Skomeritte, marloesite and mugarite, if this has any effect.


I can't find the data I want online, so if anyone knows any good books or (reputable) websites which may be useful, any help will be appreciated.


My knowledge of soils and geology is limited so fairly simple language/explainations please


Thankyou!

Heathland, "brown earths" and geology?
Hmm sounds odd that it is generally brown earth. Heathland on the whole does grow on more podzol (as does coniferous forest), brown earth is often more associated with temperate deciduous forests.





Therefore it does seem quite off from this survey that the lowland heathland seems to be brown soil based? All I can think of is that it maybe an area that has been recently deforested (by recent I could mean anything up to about 100 years?). Therefore the brown soil characteristics are still there instead of podzol characteristics. Also, the fact that it is lowland rather than highland means that temperature is probably a bit higher, and is less waterlogged, thus increasing the probably of soil horizon "mixing" - making it appear more brown earth than podzol (podzol is very layered due to the lack of mixing because of cold temperatures and waterlogging or leaching).





Also, have you had a look at "drift" geological maps, rather than just the base rock ones? That might help to give a bit more of a clue what's going on with the soil. it could even be possible that this stuff has been drifted over time, rather than the soil forming at that particular point. Obviously I'm talking geological timescale here, not instantaneous.





Your local BGS I would imagine is your best bet - there are a number of good soil books, but I doubt they will really help here, sounds like a bit of an anomaly to me.





Hope that helps.
Reply:Brown earths are typically 6.5 pH and they are nutrient rich soils. Often they provide enough nutrients for plants to out-compete heather which is why they are not usually associated.

shoe last rack

No comments:

Post a Comment