Monday, May 11, 2009

When buying a lot in a new development what information about the lot must the developer provide to me?

I am considering the purchase of a lot in a new subdivision outside of Savannah, GA....I am concerned about the condition of the soil, drainage, the sewage situation (it will require septic), and whether or not the lot lies in a flood plane...should all of the answers to these questions be provided by the developer or must I pay for all of these surveys/info on my own? Thanks!!

When buying a lot in a new development what information about the lot must the developer provide to me?
The developer will likely provide you with a great wealth of information as to how the property can be improved (size and type of house, exterior improvements [including sewage systems], flood plan [a normal disclosure issue], etc). They will also likely provide you with a plat map but I doubt your lot will be pinned. As for soil conditions, this is a matter of opinion and would require you to do your own research.


As a Realtor I suggest you go ahead and get a pinned survey done. In the mean time don't be afraid to ask any pressing questions.
Reply:The developer may well not know the answers to your inquiries. You may find whether or not the lot lies in a flood plain by checking with the local county authorities who maintain flood zone maps. As far as the other situations are concerned, you may certainly make your offer to purchase contingent upon successful inspections results to your inquiries, but the expense will be yours to bear.


No comments:

Post a Comment